This topic will discuss the many steps in reading relationships in the practice of ZWDS by using a case study from a friend of mine with relationship problem. He was married in 2010, but divorced in 2011. I validated his chart with some guesswork on year of events (e.g. 2014 he moved house, etc) and it was proven to be appropriately his. (Note: This case study is blinded for birth details. I am generally unwilling to use case studies from friends or clients, but I am tired of explaining myself when I “used” somebody else’s case studies, hence this shall be the current trend that I am sticking to).
Analysing marriage and relationships is something that every ZWDS practitioner should be cautious and careful to handle, especially when the answers concern the lifelong happiness of the client. There are many times when some practitioners give definitive and absolute answers based on mere observation of stars and maybe flying the transformers (depending on your schools) which often time can potentially lead to very dire consequences for the client. Say for example, there are some people when they see an empty spouse palace, they will immediately jump to the conclusion that the native will never get married. Or when there is some favourable formation and jump to the conclusion that there will be union. Or when there is a self Hua Ji in Spouse Palace and conclude that the marriage is bad. Or when they see Zuo Fu or You Bi in Spouse Palace, there is a third party. All of the above can turn out otherwise.
Affinity and marriage is not exactly a straight forward topic because human beings are very complex creatures. Despite what the proponents of San He or Flying Star claim, we cannot solely stick to one system. It is important to have many basis to back up an analysis. Even within either of these systems, to properly analyse a chart, there are fundamentals we cannot miss out on, namely star characteristics, palaces aspects, transformations, periods and to a much lesser extent, formations.
I will go through the steps of interpretations, particularly concerning the native’s relationships.
1. The native is born in Wu Palace location. This is one of the Four “Failure” or “Expend” locations of Zi, Wu, Mao, You. These locations are traditionally associated with peach blossoms and obsession with pleasure, hedonism. What are the basis of these traditions? The culprit is 咸池 (Xian Chi) also known as Salty Lake or Joyous Lake which are found in either of these locations. This is an infamous Peach Blossom Sha. This culprit is responsible for causing sudden lust, romance, attractions and short term love affairs. On a very general level, people born in “Failure” locations often marry or get into love affairs on impulse, and will get encounter frequent relationships problems (with or lack of) before stabilising. This basis is only used as a reference; we need to look at other aspects of the chart.
2. There are couple of formations like 羊陀夾命 (Yang Tuo Jia Ming), 命裡逢空 (Ming Li Feng Kong), 祿逢衝破 (Lu Feng Chong Po). These formations tend to reflect the self centred and individualistic nature of the native, often fixated by their own thoughts, which is sometimes not beneficial in a relationship because they will be overtly stubborn and not open up.
3. There is a 日月剋害 formation derived from Body Master, and transformation, which causes Tai Yin Hua Ji. This explains the lack of affinity with the opposite sex.
4. At Spouse Palace, it sits Tian Tong at medium magnitude level. Normally, when ZWDS practitioners see Tian Tong, they think that the spouse will be a sweet natured person. Di Kong and Huo Xing are also inside. Then people will think that the spouse is probably bad tempered, and both the sweet natured and bad tempered personality will be reduced by Di Kong? Or in some teachings they say that the malevolence stars will motivate Tian Tong to work hard. Well, on an elemental level let’s explore: Chen Palace is Yang Earth. Tian Tong is Yang Water. Huo Xing is Yang Fire. Di Kong is Yin Fire. What does that tell you? In the palace, the water of Tian Tong will be relentlessly curbed by the location. And it will be relentlessly expended in conflict with Huo Xing, and partially expended to Di Kong. This means that you can pretty much forget about having any power of Tian Tong left. There is also a Yin Sha within. The detractor thrives strongly in a damaged Yang palace, and may bring out such a saboteur quality in the spouse entity. San Fang of Spouse Palace meets several peach blossom related stars like Xian Chi, Tian Yao, Hong Luan, Gu Chen and Gua Su (most are not shown unless in a San He styled chart). Out of these 5 stars, only 1 is a favourable peach blossom star. The rest are tied to promiscuity and recluse. Opposite of Spouse Palace meets Ju Men dimmed at Career Palace. The outlook of the spouse is argumentative.
5. Flying transformers from the Spouse Palace (which is Wu Chen), it flies Hua Ji to Tian Ji at Fortune (Body) Palace, clashes Wealth Palace. *Note that I treat the Fortune Palace as an External Palace whereby it will clash opposite, rather than an Internal Palace. Because I regard Siblings Palace as Internal Palace. What does this show? Two signs: Spouse clash Wealth, Spouse clash Spouse of Spouse (native himself)! Spouse from this period is mercenary and will eventually be estranged. And of course when you see Ji you would want to see Lu. It flies Hua Lu to Property Palace. So does that mean that the spouse will contribute to property, or be nice to family? No! In inference to relationship of spouse, let’s just strictly stick to all aspects stemming from this spouse. Once we set Taiji at Spouse, she gives benefit to her own Friend Palace (Property is Friends of Spouse).
6. Additional flights from Spouse Palace. Another tip time; this is one personal technique that I often use and intelligent readers with good background in Chinese metaphysics might be able to figure out. By looking at all the remaining flights, the Spouse Palace amplifies power of clash against the Wealth Palace (Spouse of Spouse) which spells further disasters as now both mobile stars (Tai Yin and Tian Ji) are triggered, which guarantees movement away from estranged native, while also clashing Children Palace, ending the peach blossom of native.
Signs of Marriage: This Si Hua formula is usually used for Yin male and Yang female natives to calculate for REAL “affinity” in marriage that is predestined. One of the common formula for signs of marriage is: Spouse or Friends Palace Hua Lu into Life, Friends or Spouse Palace. Hua Lu represents affection, hence fate. Hua Ji represents debt, hence destiny. The combination is affinity. Signs of Divorce, Estrangement: Spouse Palace Self Hua Ji and all of the above replaced by Hua Ji clashes (but include Health Palace also). And lastly (to be used at last resort), signs of partner eloping or leaving with some other person. Children palace Hua Ji clash Spouse palace.
From the San He perspective, to further support the case, one basic feature from the many calculations of 紅鸞星動 (Hong Luan Xin Dong) is to match periodic Life Palace with Hong Luan, Tian Xi, Current Hong Luan, and Current Tian Xi. These are “decent” marriage affinity, and the more you see, the more effects are amplified (e.g. Hong Luan, with Current Hong Luan).
Using decade agency, in Decade 25-34, Decade Self overlaps with Birth Spouse. This signifies that there will be strong ties to events concerning relationship. Seeking signs above. Decade Spouse Hua Lu to Tian Tong (benefit to naive native) at Decade Self/Birth Spouse prompting strong signs of marriage. In cases when there is no Hua Lu pattern, of lower priority is for practitioner to also look at Hua Ke to affect the above palaces. Usually a common mistake is to seek Hua Lu and deem it happily everafter, and hence events are not investigated hindsight. Remember the concept of 禄随忌走 (Lu Sui Ji Zhou). This means that Lu will be ended by Ji. In every case, ALWAYS remember to look at Lu and Ji in combination of all flights.
So Decade Spouse sends Hua Ji to Lian Zhen (add restriction to repression) at Decade Children/Health. What are these signs? When we look at these palaces how are we going to determine the aspects? Children palace can mean own children, peach blossom, colleagues, siblings/mother of spouse. Health palace can mean children of spouse, office. To determine aspects, since we are investigating relationships, these palaces have to conform to relationships. Hence the aspects of Hua Ji can go into: Health as heart of native, peach blossom of spouse, and for Children, peach blossom of native hence it will end at Chou square as trigger point (take note). A bad possibility will take place at Chou square.
Now the most important sign: Decade Children Hua Ji to Ju Men at Decade Travel (Birth Career) clash Birth Spouse. I have explained what this meant, and the sign is not that pleasant.
Since Yin square at Decade Spouse is the trigger point for this affinity, it also becomes a possibility, which may correspond to the marriage year. San He plot will place Current Year Life Palace for 2010 also at Yin Square, and here it will technically have Tian Xi and Current Year Hong Luan in the same palace, opposite to Hong Luan and Current Year Tian Xi, which fits a criteria for marriage. In Flying Star perspective, 2010, Annual Spouse sends Hua Lu into Tian Tong (benefit to naive native) Decade Self/Annual Fortune which is a strong affinity sign. The native and the partner get married in 2010. Remember Lu Sui Ji Zhou? Now let’s move over to investigate what has been sent forth by the Annual Spouse. Annual Spouse sends Hua Ji to Lian Zhen at Annual Siblings/Decade Children which is the Chou Square, enhancing this location’s possibility.
In 2011, the marriage ended. Remember that I ask you to take note of Chou square? The Chou square corresponds to 2011, as the Annual Spouse Palace. Annual Spouse Palace sends Hua Ji to Ju Men (quarrels/scandals) at Annual Health (Decade Travel) and clash Decade Life Palace, which is overlapped with Birth Spouse thus ending the relationship. With Hua Ji, we would like to backtrack to the Causes at Hua Lu. We see Annual Spouse sends Hua Lu into Annual Friends. This should be an easy explanation. However, if we are also on track on the San He plot with 2011, it is easier to tell. Current Hong Luan now enter 2011 Spouse Palace, and 2011 Children Palace is shifted to where Xian Chi and Tian Yao are. This means that there is somebody for the ex-wife, and there is also somebody for the native. Now, get out of the San He mode, and you can try your hands now on some flying from the relevant palaces to see what happen to my friend.
Are there cures for potentially bad marriages? Yes. Some of it encompass marrying late, some of it encompass marrying foreigners, and there are also many others. For him, if he had known about the chart earlier, he could choose to marry later, amongst many other solutions that are actually deceptively simple. That is after the revelations and the beginning of REAL Free Will, by Zi Wei Dou Shu.